- Question: How did you get into the temperature controlled distribution sector and what is your role within Gist?
I have been employed by Gist and involved in temperature-controlled distribution for 24 years and have had the opportunity to influence many aspects of our fleet development programme. My current role is General Manager Engineering and I am responsible for both fleet and site engineering.
- Question: Can you firstly tell us what temperature controlled vehicles that Gist operates?
We currently operate a number of different models from both Carrier and Thermoking. In addition to these, we also operate fifteen Frostcruise and one Dearman (Liquid Nitrogen) refrigerated trailers. We are also about to start a trial of the Carrier Eco drive fridge (TRS) and Hulsteins systems.
- Question: What has been the most important technical development in your temperature controlled bodies and refrigeration systems in recent years and how has it impacted on your operations Gist?
The development of lifting floor double deck trailers have enhanced schedule efficiency, reduced operating costs and contributed to our sustainability programme.
- Question: Are you using telematics across your fleet currently? If so, what advantages do you see this gives your clients?
Microlise is our selected partner for telematics which facilitates driver engagement, fuel performance and tracking aligned to our scheduling platform Enterprise. We also use the BPW Idem system on our trailers. This allows the operational team to have visibility of the fuel tank level, remote temperature monitoring, brake temperatures, tracking, TPMS and trailer axle load weights.
- Question: Customer needs are constantly changing, so what are you finding is now the biggest request from your customers?
To continue to seek cost effective solutions with enhanced service reporting through digitalisation and the continued development of sustainability initiatives.
- Question: What environmental measures does Gist incorporate to ensure best practice?
Gist continually reviews its impact on the environment through schedule optimisation, driver training, fleet development initiatives aligned to our sustainability plan and ‘green’ initiatives within our operating sites e.g. Fridge plant, lighting & waste management.
- Question: Now that the UK has left the European Union, what changes have you noticed within your business since 31st January?
We have not yet been directly impacted, but we continue to work closely with our customers to provide the current and future operating solutions and administrative processes required for cross border activity.
- Question: Lastly, would you like to share any news about your company that you feel would benefit the TCS&D readers?
We are continuing to develop our end-to-end transport capability from customer order to invoice generation. The introduction of Microlise across our entire fleet has provided real time information on fleet locations, enhancing efficiency, customer service levels and driver engagement. The training and safety of our drivers is our priority and we are extremely proud that it was a Gist driver who was crowned Microlise Driver of the Year 2020.